Re: troubles with view-only document

Subject: Re: troubles with view-only document
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:09:57 +0200

Evie asks:

does anyone know how the *&($#*#^$%^&$$# you convert a view-only Frame document back into editable form? i've tried the handy tip from help (in the book window, press esc shift + f lowercaseL k), and it's doing nothing for me. there must be another way to do this. does anyone know?
thanks
evie

Hmmm... The term they use is locking a file, hence the key sequence - Esc, then F (uppercase F), then l (lowercase L), then k (lowercase K). Just making sure the sequence is expressed clearly.

#########
Oops - re-reading you message I see you say that you do this sequence in the book window. No... Make the locked document active, then try the sequence. The following message content may be unnecessary.
#########

I assume you are absolutely convinced that you have the correct sequence, caps lock is off, etc., etc. This is indeed the way to lock and unlock your documents via the keyboard. If it doesn't work, and nothing funny is going on with your keyboard, and you are using FrameMaker (not FrameViewer), I can think of only one legitimate reason for a document to be permanently locked.

Question - did you lock the document, or did somebody else? It is possible to deliver a locked FrameMaker document that cannot be unlocked - ever. This is done by importing specific MIF statements into the document, then locking it. This is indeed a useful thing to do for some very specific applications. Is it possible that such MIF was imported into this document? If you are the sole owner of the document, and you don't know about this, then I doubt it. If you inherited this document from somebody, I would check with that person.
If you like, you can try a tool I have - I have some freeware tools on my site (address below), and one of them has a command to lock or unlock all documents in a book. You could try putting your document in a book, then choosing the unlock command. Got to Free Downloads > BookLooker. You should also get the docs. Windows-only, BTW. Installation is as simple as putting the dll file in your plugins folder, then restarting Maker. That would be a way to try working around the key sequence... It might help.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l