Storing RTF documents in a code management system

Subject: Storing RTF documents in a code management system
From: Deb Beckett <dbeckett -at- simulutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:35:03 -0600

Hello,

Has anyone used CVS or RCS as a repository for their documents? If so, how
has this worked for you?

My client is a software development company and one of their customers has
asked that the documentation be stored in the repository system used for the
code - which is CVS (and may become RCS for this particular customer). To
store a Word document (Word 2000) in CVS/RCS, it must be saved as RTF. There
are some issues with converting Word to RTF that we have been looking into,
but what I'm really looking for is some feedback from others to see how
effective this has been with regards to:

1) Being able to easily check documents in and out
2) Are you able to merge changes?
3) Controlling access of documents (which would really be a process we might
be able to use)
4) General feedback regarding the use of RTF documents in this manner?

Thanks,

Deb Beckett

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l