Re: scanners

Subject: Re: scanners
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:24:30 -0500

I have gotten some valuable information about scanners from Arlen Walker,
Gregory Sweet, Jan Henning, BurlEv, John Root, and Ellen Ewald. Thank you
for your input!!

Before I make my recommendation to the IT manager, there are a few things I
want to make sure of:

* Scanning number crunching I received said an 11 X 17, 24-bit color, 300
dpi scan would take 2 seconds on a SCSI scanner and a whopping *42* seconds
on a USB scanner! All of the 10,000+ pages we are planning to scan are
either text or black and white line art (engineering drawings), and we will
be scanning at 300 dpi. Will the speed limitations of USB vs. SCSI be as
great for this as they would be for color scanning? If someone could give
me a formula for this, I would appreciate it. I did a search on Google
hoping it would point me to a site with a formula, but all I found was info
for consumer scanners, not professional scanners. One site recommended
USB!

* If we use a SCSI to USB adapter, will that overcome the problem of
needing to exclude the workstation on the SMS network? Is this an
adaptation of the physical connection only, or will the drivers used be
USB, as well? And ultimately, will the workstation still need to be
excluded from SMS and updated manually?

* My understanding is that having a CD writer on a workstation causes just
as many (potential) problems with the SMS network as the scanner with a
SCSI card would. Approximately 30 of the 150 workstations in this building
have CD writers. In that light, it seems that the SCSI scanner wouldn't
put them out that much more.

I believe I will recommend that they use a SCSI scanner, but want to make
sure I have all the facts straight before I do so.

Thanks for your help!
Lisa B.

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Lisa Bronson
Associate Technical Writer
Evergreen Packaging Equipment
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
319-399-3239

"Writing about yourself is a tremendously powerful exercise. If you want to
know how accurately you perceive reality in the present, try writing about
your perception of your past. You just might discover an entirely new
reality."--Lisa Bronson

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l