Re: Handling developers, "the zone" and other myths

Subject: Re: Handling developers, "the zone" and other myths
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 19:12:57 -0300

Brad Jensen wrote:

I think, based on my experience of the reliability of Windows OS, that
Microsoft shares your philosophy.

You're forgetting reviewing, bug-checking, and quality assurance.

Much of the work of programming is not in the initial inspiration, but in the logical analysis and revision of content.
That's another reason why I regard all the talk about the "zone" as exaggeration: I've done enough professional creative work to know that the initial impulse and first draft is just the beginning of any creative process. In many ways, talk of the "zone" is comparable to the romantic myth of inspiration being the most important - charming in its way, but something that any seasoned professional soon learns to move beyond.

"They pout, they pose, they curl their lips,
They miss too many meals
With their implants and injections
Only God knows what is real."
-Garnet Rogers, "Where'd You Get That Little Dress?"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l