Re: Why are you using Word, what got you started? (RE: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?)

Subject: Re: Why are you using Word, what got you started? (RE: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?)
From: Aahz <aahz -at- pythoncraft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:56:54 -0400

On Fri, May 31, 2002, "Bill Hall" wrote:

> I discovered personal computing and WordStar 3.* in a CP/M (and
> concurrent CP/M) environment in 1980, and between 1984 and 1987
> was sole author and documentation manager to produce complete
> and detailed documentation packages for a large collection of
> multi-user/networked business applications, including import/export,
> warehousing, GL, foreign exchange, clinical practice management
> (medical/dental/veterinary versions), yacht club, and stockbroking
> - all running in master/dumb terminal environments with a maximum
> of 386 K (not M) memory on Z80 (8 bit) chips. Also, as a writer
> I have never been more productive than when WordStar was my
> platform. R.J. Sawyer explained why this was so in 1990 -
> http://www.sfwriter.com/wordstar.htm.

Note that the rise of XML makes possible the re-emergence of the text
editor as the word processor of choice. I like vi, and emacs is quite
popular.
--
Aahz (aahz -at- pythoncraft -dot- com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In the end, outside of spy agencies, people are far too trusting and
willing to help." --Ira Winkler

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l