Re: Context Sensitive Help

Subject: Re: Context Sensitive Help
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:35:50 -0700 (PDT)

> 1) How to start writing the help texts.

Create a new project in RoboHelp and start writing,
pretty much. Use a map file to associate topics to map
IDs for use in the application. Your RoboHelp
documentation should discuss this fairly well.

> 2) How to test the help.

Needs to be associated with the application first. Use
your QA staff for the testing as much as possible...
it is technically a branch of the application.

> 3) How to attach the help with the GUI(Java).

Java. Well, that's another story. Pure Java? Or Java
with other bells and whistles? If pure Java, you need
to be authoring JavaHelp... in any case, you need to
speak to your developers and work out how this will be
done. They need to create calls to the help topics in
the application. You need to make sure the right
topics are being called in the right places of the
application. You both need to work out who decides
which topic goes with what map ID.

I highly recommend you read through the Help Authoring
Tools and Techniques list archives for more info on
context-sensitive help and JavaHelp projects.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l