Final Documentation Page Break Formatting?

Subject: Final Documentation Page Break Formatting?
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:06:00 -0600

I have a question about final document formatting. How do I prevent/remedy
awkward page breaks, such as Table Header rows starting on one page (then
repeated) on the following page when I deliver my final documentation. Is
it a simple as (and as painful as) inserting hard returns to force the
spacing? That causes havoc anytime the document would be changed or
updated. I have formatted styles to use "before and after" paragraph
spacing.

Here is what I have done to try and help myself.

In most cases (in one particular manual) I use a Header, followed by a
Figure and Caption, followed by a Table that describes the contents of the
figure. I have used "the Keep with Next" feature in Word in all applicable
styles. In some cases, there is only enough room on the page to put the
Header, Figure and Caption, and the first two rows of the table. The first
two rows of the table are the header rows, and are automatically repeated on
the next page. (Header Row, Header Row, <Page Break> Header Row, Header Row
> Information Rows.) This is just a bit redundant, and I agree that it can
be taken out. Just short of inserting hard returns I cannot (am not aware
of a way to) remedy this situation.

If I insert Hard Returns in the beginning of the document, I must page check
the document to ensure that the hard returns did not cause more page break
errors. Then, thinking of the future, each time the document is updated,
someone would need to do this same thing. How ridiculous!

Surely, there is a better way (and I don't mean to call you Shirley)? What
can I do?

Justin...
"Who should be watching the World Cup"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l