RE: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: RE: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: "Latas, Salette" <Salette -dot- Latas -at- misyshealthcare -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:51:18 -0700

Christine Zucker asks:

I'm wondering what would be more beneficial to me in the future and for a
tech writing career...the Master's in English or an associates in
engineering.

Response:

How about an MS in Technical Communication Management from an engineering
school?

You can get that from Mercer University through online learning.

Courses are organized in modules. You can take each module separately for a
graduate-level certificate; or all four modules plus a research project
constitute the MS degree.

(1) Processes Module
Usability Evaluation Process
Online Documentation Process

(2) Advanced Technologies Module
Interactive Multimedia
Instructional Design

(3) Issues & Practices Module
HR Issues in Tech Comm Mgt
Internationalization and Marketing of Tech Comm

(4) Foundations Module
History, Theory, & Organization of Tech Information
Cognition & Learning Theory

One of the benefits of having this program in the engineering school is that
many engineering grad students are minoring in Tech Comm, so when we
collaborate on projects, it's very similar to the work environment.

The certificates give you something to put on your resume while you're
earning your degree, and the projects provide good portfolio material,
especially if most of your paid work has been produced under a
confidentiality agreement.

I have earned all four certificates and I'm completing the research project
this summer. We are designing a user interface for the Palm OS for the
medical school at Mercer. Dr. George Hayhoe, editor of Technical
Communication, the STC Journal, is the professor in charge of the project.

Let me know if you'd like more information.

Salette

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l