RE: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: RE: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:43:10 -0500

A lot of people have mentioned that experience goes further than an M.A. does, and I would just like to add an observation to that. Back in 1997, I researched the online job ads for tech writers as part of a paper I was writing for a class. What I found was a lot of ads asking for a minimum of two years experience (for some reason this shifted to three by the time I had two years under my belt), but not a single one that asked for an M.A.

Of course, like has already been stated, pursuing an M.A. does have other advantages. Personally, I'm doing it for both increasing my job skills (which is why the company is paying for it) and the personal satisfaction. It may never help me get a future job directly but if it contributes to increasing my overall skill and allows me to gain better experience the indirect benefits will be felt. And that is what education should be about, the improvement of one's self not the credentials.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l