RE: First time interviewer!

Subject: RE: First time interviewer!
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:54:12 -0700

A couple of jobs ago I had a reputation as a tough interviewer.
Here are a few questions I always like to ask:
* What do you like to write about best?
* What is the most technical thing you've ever documented?
* What do you want me to know about you that I haven't asked?

Also, I like to find something in the interviewee's resume or writing
samples to critique, as an editor would. This gives me a first-hand
experience of how this person handles review comments. I find I
get much more information this way than asking them how they
believe they deal with criticism.

I've also learned it's more informative to ask them to tell me
about specific experiences they've had. For example, instead
of asking about what process they follow to document a new
product, I point to a project on the resume and ask them how
they did it on that project. If they're not happy how that
particular project went, I can invite them to tell me why and
what they wished could have been different.

I also like to show them what I'm working on to give them
a sense of the kind of documents they might work if we
hired them. I learn a lot by the kinds of questions they ask
me about the documents I show them.

Good luck with your interview!
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"We must become the change we want to see in the world."
--Gandhi

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l