RE: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?]

Subject: RE: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?]
From: Ellen Ferlazzo <eferlazzo -at- sprez -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:24:39 -0700

I've seen statistics that say HTML newsletters tend to have fewer
unsubscribe and more click-throughs. That said, it's obvious, to me at
least, that you need to offer people the option of receiving either
plain text or HTML so that you don't tick off people unnecessarily!

>The trouble with HTML e-mail is that, because there's no
>standard among
>mail readers, what looks good in Outlook can look like
>garbage in Eudora,
>Netscape Mail, etc.

Hear, hear! One of my small ongoing projects is creating an HTML email
(and plain text, but that's easy) for a client's monthly newsletter. I
can do it neatly for IE and Netscape. I preview it in Explorer and it's
fine. But it looks ugly in Eudora. What's frustrating to me is that I
can find info on what works in the various browsers but I can't find
much at all on the various email clients other than web sites that say
"it's problematic."

Has anyone else been able to find out what works in the various email
clients?

E l l e n F e r l a z z o
software designer / writer / project manager
www.sprez.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l