Re: Back to the Dark Ages.

Subject: Re: Back to the Dark Ages.
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:07:25 +0000

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:28:09 -0700, while chained to a desk in the scriptorium, sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com ("Sharon Burton-Hardin") wrote:

$I had a prof who thought when he was done with WordPerfect, the best way to
$close the program was to turn the computer off (this was DOS 3.3 days). He
$could not understand why I had a fit the first time I saw him do that and
$refused to believe this was a bad idea. Until the day his hard drive became
$so corrupt, it would not boot at all. All his stuff was there and, of
$course, not backed up. He, too, was upset I could not help him, unless he
$was willing to pay me to do a sector by sector recovery with no assurance we
$would get anything useful.

Speaking of doing backups, at one place I worked a number of years back, we did a computer upgrade.

I upgraded one woman's PC with a nice, shiny, new Pentium. I carefully transferred all her files over to the new PC.

Don't ask me what she was storing, but she insisted I wipe *everything* off the old machine. No problem. I did that too.

A few days after the upgrade, she came to me because her PC was acting just a bit strange.

To make a long story short, the hard drive was making noises like pebbles being shaken in a can. Within a couple of minutes, we had a physical hard drive failure.

Turned out the last time she did a back up was *eighteen* months before. Not only that, but we no longer had a copy of the software used to do the backup.

For the next three days, she wandered around the office like a lost puppy.

I'd like to say she now does regular backups--but I can't be certain.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer

Please respond to the group. My address is set to reject e-mail from senders not in my address book.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l