Re: Modify Word's Default Styles - do your changes stick?

Subject: Re: Modify Word's Default Styles - do your changes stick?
From: "Marianne Adams" <marjaone -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:42:22 -0400

Karen,

In order for any changes you make to styles in a document to stick, you do have to make sure that your customers have and install a custom template containing them (and even then some things, particularly involving bullets and numbers, can go awry). The risk is that this is not usually an intuitive thing for people to do, and you'll have to provide very specific instructions for installing the template - it's not as easy as it looks, since network installations and newer operating systems will sometimes put user templates in different places than you'd expect.

As you surmised, any extra menus, macros, and so forth, MUST be recorded in the template for the document, whether it's normal.dot or a custom template, and that template must be available on any computer that needs to display the document.

Somewhere along the way, I've written some instructions for figuring out where the templates on a particular computer need to go. If you'd like to e-mail me off-list, I'll try to find them and send them to you.

Marianne

If I modify Word's default styles - specifically Normal, Headings 1-3, and
List Bullet - will my changes remain with the document as it goes from
customer to customer? >
[snip]
I think if I want to create any macros or custom toolbar
buttons, I'll need to create a custom template - what would the risks of that approach be?

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l