RE: Out of Work Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Out of Work Tech Writers
From: "McCarter, Kim" <kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:15:32 -0400

Suzanne Chiles said:

>I thought that private correspondence was to be kept private on this list.

You know, it truly amazes me that people who profess to be adults, and
professionals, and tech writers to boot, are unable to bear an opinion that
differs from their own. I know that a major part of my job is feedback - the
kind I get from others. And you know what? I understand the value of
constructive criticism. I understand that the product that finally gets to
customers is much better because of the changes I have made based on the
criticism of others. Sometimes, I realize, I'm just too close to the material
to be objective. What I need is a fresh opinion - someone who will look at the
same words and see what I have not. Does it hurt my feelings? Occasionally.
But you know what? I get over that and move on, and produce a better product.
Imagine how inferior a product I would produce if everyone patted my hand and
said, "That's nice," or if I filtered out the feedback from people who were
critical.

If you publish your words, products, etc to others, be prepared for feedback you
don't agree with. If you don't want constructive criticism, talk to your pet.

These are my opinions, not those of my employer.
Kim McCarter
Technical Writer
Harris Publishing Systems
(321) 242-5101