Re: Single vs double quotes? (take II)

Subject: Re: Single vs double quotes? (take II)
From: Grail <talthane -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:17:08 +0100

It's the fact that the brackets aren't contained within a sentence that would be objected to, at least in my sort of circle. I was always taught that parentheses can't be independent like they are in my example (not without some kind of text around them to give meaning). (This sentence doesn't need brackets, for example - it may be an 'afterthought' but it can survive on its own without the brackets.)

As far as questions of grammar being discussed (or not) on the list ("ensure or insure...why do niggling grammar threads go on the longest?"), for me it's not niggling when it comes down to differences of internationalisation. I wouldn't particularly want to write a manual for a primarily US-based market knowing I'd be distracting a lot of Americans with what looked like wrong punctuation/grammar, disrupting their reading rhythm. On the other hand, if I was writing something exclusively for Commonwealth countries like the UK, Australia and Canada, I wouldn't need to decide about things like color, center, defence, aesthetic, and travelling.

It's always good to, like, know stuff. :-)

-Grail.
PS: The "ensure or insure" thing...if anyone's writing a financial services manual that could be the key to a major error if not absolutely correct throughout....

Hart, Geoff wrote:

<< (So is the American English practice of including an entire sentence in
brackets, like this.)>>

That's not inherently wrong in any dialect of English that I'm familiar
with. It's a matter of style, and some style guides certainly consider
longwinded parenthetical statements awkward or wrong. So if you're editing
to follow one of those style guides, then yes, you'd be well-advised to
remove the brackets.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l