Re: Tech Writers - Salaried or Hourly?

Subject: Re: Tech Writers - Salaried or Hourly?
From: "Steve Arrants" <stephena -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:37:54 -0700

From: "Barbara Yanez" <BarbaraYanez -at- cogentsystems -dot- com> writes:
> My company is insisting that my assistant, a junior tech writer - degreed
> but fresh out of college, is to be hourly and not salaried. She does
> professional level work - albeit entry-level. This is strange. I have
never
> heard of this. I have never been hourly in any tech writing job - even at
> the beginning of my tenure.
>
> Those of you who are not contractors, are you salaried or hourly?

I've always been salaried. It is a complex situation. I imagine most
companies would want to have an employee at that level be salaried to avoid
paying overtime and being subject to wage and hour laws of your state and
the federal government. If she is hourly, she must be paid overtime, while
a salaried (exempt) employee is generally NOT paid overtime. Depends on the
state you work in, too.

http://www.canonprofits.org/html/can/exempt.html has a discussion of exempt
vs. non-exempt employee classification for California.

steve arrants
http://www.compbear.com Certified Cruelty Free
"The dream was marvelous, but the terror was great.
We must treasure the dream, whatever the terror."
---Gilgamesh

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l