Re: The Indian Menace?!?

Subject: Re: The Indian Menace?!?
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

> Sometimes, there are other things more important
> than money. As a young
> technical writer, I do not always take gigs that
> offer lots of money (not that
> I've had many), but I try to accept jobs that can
> further my skills. I work
> for peanuts, but I work for a great company as far
> as being well-known (looks
> good on the ol' resume) and giving me opportunities
> to experiment and learn.
> Do I love this job and plan to stay forever? that's
> beside the point. The
> point is: I am not hurting the TW economy or those
> out of work; I am working
> on my own career and have realized that sometimes
> money is worth less than
> experience. I'm sure I will too be out of work at
> some point; will I take a
> low paying job? Absolutely - if it helps me develop
> new skills and further my
> experience level.

This isn't a bad practice, but the point is not to
look for the low balls to get a job. Many times I have
been overlooked in favor of a low-baller. In one case
someone willing to work for almost $20k under my
proposed rate. What lesson does that teach employers?
I'll tell you... wait long enough and you'll get
someone willing to work for peanuts. It's a gamble
they're willing to make, as if the person ends up
being a slug, not much lost. If the person ends up
gold, then they got a bargain. They recognize that and
look for it.

One place I worked for low-balled every applicant.
Some were smart enough and in demand enough to get
what they asked for. Others grabbed what was offered.
The result? Over $40k difference in salary among
people at the same status level and same position.
Since salary was kept classified, the company got away
with it. It didn't come out until after a large
layoff, and by that time the point was moot.

Think about that. I doubt it was the only place like this.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l