Re: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute...

Subject: Re: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute...
From: johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 8:33:37

In addition to blaming India for the high rate of unemployment among tech
writers, Jill Johnson unbelievably wrote: "Don't refer to it as slave
labor. People from India get paid what they are worth."

I've been on vacation the last few days, sorry to be chiming in so late.
But I have to say something about this.

I'm shocked and horrified at Jill Johnson's remarks. I don't even know
where to start, I'm overwhelmed by the magnitude of her ignorance and lack
of shame in posting these comments. Such blatant racism can only be rooted
in a gross misunderstanding of some basic notions about the world economy
and the imbalance of power inherant in this type of economy.

I applaud Lisa Wright for her sensitive comments on the subject, and Eric
for clearly stating that racism is unacceptable in this forum.

For what it's worth, I did a quick google search and came up with this
link. Anyone interested in learning about how we can all unlearn racism
should check it out at the very least:
http://oll.temple.edu/ih/IH52/Liberation/King/KingRelate3.ht

Johanne Cadorette

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l