Re: STC backstabbing? (take II)

Subject: Re: STC backstabbing? (take II)
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

OK Geoff, you made a good point. But, aside from
self-enriching ego smacking, what does the experienced
technical communicator get out of the STC? In other
words, what does the STC do for the experienced
members? They aren't compensated for speaking at
conferences. They aren't compensated for writing for
the periodicals. They aren't learning anything from
the non-contributors (about 95% of the membership, so
it seems). The good feelings you are rewarded with
come not from the STC, but from your personal
involvement.

Geoff, I know you play a rather visible role in the
STC, and if it makes you feel good to be helping,
that's great for you - I mean it, nothing sarcastic
intended. But, for me (I'm not going to speak for
others), I find I get very little for my $120 a year.
I get some magazines that contain epidermis-level info
on tools and techniques that I'm already more thawn
familiar with, and I get an academically-focused
magazine once in a great while that is of very little
use to a task- and market-focused person like myself.

I stick by my observation that non-contributors reap
the greatest benefits from the STC.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l