Once vs. when, and low pay

Subject: Once vs. when, and low pay
From: "Ben Kovitz" <bkovitz -at- nethere -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:41:02 -0700

At the risk of giving offense, I'd like to suggest that there may
be some connection between the "once vs. when" thread (and similar
threads) and the thread about low pay and difficulty finding a job
in the current market.

We love language and all its minutiae or we wouldn't be
professional writers. And of course our judgements about
precisely which word to use and when are the result of the most
highly refined perceptions of our languages. So I'm not
disagreeing with anyone's choice of which word to use with which
audience. What I'd like to suggest is to consider the priority of
such topics in relation to other aspects of technical writing.

Imagine yourself in the position of an employer. You've got a
thousand things to worry about--a thousand uncertainties about
which sales will close and how much money will come in and when.
And you've got only one certainty: you've got to meet payroll.

A technical writer comes into your office, accustomed to the wages
he or she got during the dotcom revolution. The benefit this
writer offers your organization is the ability to settle matters
of English usage like whether "once" or "when" is right, how many
spaces to put after a period, whether to say that a window
"displays" or "opens" or "appears", and the like.

Another technical writer claims to make short manuals that contain
just the information readers need, in ways suited to the sorts of
troubles that lead them to look in the manual. This writer gives
examples of how to omit information or organize it on a page so
that finding it takes only a second or two.

Which technical writer's priorities seem more aligned with your
priority of meeting payroll? Which will have the greater impact
on sales and happy (repeat) customers?

Ben

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l