Respect, worth, and grammar

Subject: Respect, worth, and grammar
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:47:09 -0700

resending with more appropriate subject line

============

Okay, my turn to put my foot in it.

I agree with a previous poster that all these things (grammar questions,
respect-worthiness, salary questions) are indeed connected.

Okay, we all have grammar questions and doubts - who (whom?) among us is a
grammar whiz? - but when such questions come from posters that in other
posts have touted their TC certification/degree/training, one must wonder
about what's missing from such programs. Like language usage, grammar, basic
sentence structure. Talk about information architecture until you're blue in
the face, but can you give me a clearly written sentence?

Let the proof of our worth be in the pudding, not a degree on paper. And let
us not disparage the self-taught, the ones with a knack, the ones who
learned it in the trenches. (Though I do not contest the assertion that such
a degree can give one a competitive edge in a tight job market.)

As to respect, or the lack thereof, I cannot speak. In every TW position I
have held (5 over 6 six years) I have always experienced nothing but the
highest respect from engineers, developers, product managers, marketing
people, executives, everyone. Perhaps I have been lucky, perhaps I just
attract good vibes, perhaps it's the twenty-dollar bills I hand out every
time I stroll through engineering. Perhaps, since I generally work for
smaller companies, my contribution is simply more visible.

One sure way to not get respect is to whine about how hard you worked for
your certification/degree/training and what do you get for it, disrespect!
And how dare these non-certified/non-degreed pretenders think they are at
your level! (And while we're at it, what exactly is an independent
clause???)

Rantingly,

Andy

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l