Re: STC backstabbing?

Subject: Re: STC backstabbing?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:25:54 -0300

Hart, Geoff wrote:

It seems likely that Bruce, like the late Andrew
Plato, once had a bad experience with STC and has chosen to overgeneralize
that experience to the entire organisation. Tsk.

Well, I guess there's nothing else to say, is there? Your speculation saves me the effort of having to respond by discrediting anything I might have to say in advance. Tsk, indeed.

(And, by the way, Andrew Plato isn't dead simply because he's out of our sight).

Rather than trying to respond with such a handicap, let me talk in more general terms and return the thread to the original point (the argument about solidarity):

The STC claims to be a professional association. However, except for some education and networking, it provides none of the services or benefits that other professional associations do, and seems unlikely to do so anytime soon. I know that some people have tried to change that, but, since they haven't yet, I think I can conclude that the majority of its members don't care much if it does change.

If the organization can't or won't provide benefits, certification, or even much pooled information, what chance is there that its members would support a job action such as refusing to take jobs below a certain rate of pay? I've been a union steward, and I know that job actions that don't have the support of a strong majority of those affected only leave an organization looking weaker.

I'm sure that there are individual exceptions. I also know that the STC doesn't include a great many technical writers. However, it is large enough to be a representative sample. So, I arrive at the conclusion in my last post on the topic from a different angle:

I have serious doubts whether tech writers in general and the STC in particular would support a job action. Therefore, I would be reluctant to participate in one with them.

Please notice that I don't castigate anyone. Admittedly, part of what I'm saying is that the appeal that I find in the solidarity argument makes me a minority, but I'm not especially interested in everybody sharing my point of view. I'm merely observing. I'd like to be proved wrong, but I'd be foolish to believe something simply because I wanted it to be true.

"So that the meek will inherit the earth
Because they haven't the strength to refuse it..."
-Leon Rosselson, "What It's All For"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l