RE: real tech writers?

Subject: RE: real tech writers?
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:59:52 -0500

> From: Janet Murphy [mailto:janet -at- fuse -dot- net]

> Credential count. I have them in bunches. I'm always looking
> for ways to earn more.

To which I can only say, good for you. Just don't say that everyone has
to chase them, too.

> Would you fly in a plane built by engineers w/ only "on the
> job training"?

To add another anecdote to what's already been posted, I worked for a
defense company that starting laying people off in droves. Management
decided to lay off anyone without a degree (they didn't have to make any
hard decisions taht way, it was cut and dried, and besides, those old
guys were making too much money)---thus ripping the heart out of the
division. The guys who had been designing circuit boards for years, who
knew all the products inside and out, were mostly guys who had learned
on the job and never went to college. What we were left with were the
young degreed electrical engineers who had been taking orders from the
old guys. They were clueless and useless. Schedules began to lag,
quality bottomed out, and managers tore their hair out wondering why we
couldn't do things as well as we used to. Duh. They decided that degrees
were more important than experience and wrecked the division.

In other words, no, I don't care what it says on your piece of paper, if
you know how to do what it is you're supposed to be doing.

Nancy Kaminski
nancykam -at- attbi -dot- com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l