Re: Single vs. double quotes?

Subject: Re: Single vs. double quotes?
From: "Doc" <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:58:39 -0400

Given the choice, I'd vote for punctuation outside quotes if it is not
integral to the material within them.
As a simplistic example example:
The extension for the file containing the table of contents is "TOC".
With the period within the quotes, a neophyte could assume that TOC. is the
extension.
But then I'm somewhat literal in my attitudes.
If you're writing the SG then it's okay to agonize over this issue, but
punctuation goes wherever the style guide says it does . . . consistently!
You can change consistent usage globally.
Consistency is one of the greatest virtues of TW, and unlike sincerity, it
can't be faked.

-Doc

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l