RE: Tech Writers taking minutes

Subject: RE: Tech Writers taking minutes
From: "Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646)" <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:29:09 -0700

<<So, my question at this point is, have any other technical writers who
have
encountered this? Is this normal & I'm the one with an attitude problem or
something? >>

Well, I have encountered this on and off for throughout my career. I used
to resist it more vociferously than I do now, mainly for the rationale that
it was an administrative function. My reasoning was that I would take the
minutes if it was part of creating a document. It sounds like that's the
type of minutes they want there.
Nowadays, I am with you, heck, I'm glad to have a job, and if they ask me to
take minutes I do. If its a new team, though, I do try to get the minutes
rotated, unless it is a Requirements gathering function. However, the team
you are on is already used to the techwriter having the duty.
I have found that opening up to doing these new things has actually added
some enjoyment to my job. I feel sometimes reading this list a wistful envy
for folks who are doing "real tech writer", that is working hand and hand
with a development group, creating nifty online help and manuals. I do a
little of that, but I do a lot of whatever they want... meeting minutes,
small documents, Visio diagrams of process flows, monitor the project office
mailbox, call and check on minor details for the project lead...
Just keep those paychecks coming!
Gratefully employed,
Rosie

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l