RE: Content Management

Subject: RE: Content Management
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:46:57 -0400

Interesting internship project. You will probably spend your two months
researching content management tools and techniques, let alone
implementing it and using it while getting other work done. Your
proposal has good intentions, but it relies heavily on user compliance.
That is, if someone doesn't feel like filling out the form, your
revision history is compromised. There are tools out there that automate
this and force a check-in/check-out, and also provide a log of who
checked out what and when that is tracked by the revision tracking
system itself - no human input required.

The system most often talked about in our profession is Documentum.
http://www.documentum.com/

There are literally hundreds of content management and revision control
systems out there. I suggest doing some web searches and nailing down
exactly what your employer wants. Once you know what you're looking for,
I'm sure we'll be of more help. Right now your question is very broad
and knowing this group, we'll give you a ton of info that has very
little to do with what you're really looking for.

;)

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine