RE: Content management

Subject: RE: Content management
From: "Shultz, Beverly" <c-bshultz -at- state -dot- pa -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:44:04 -0400

Hi, all.

The project I am currently on needed a manual CMS until the tech team got FileNET (a CMS system) up and running. We were then to transition to FileNET.
I've worked in both Documentum and FileNET so I am familiar with the version management and workflow functions.
Our documentation is in Word, one large main document that links to many other Word docs. The documentation consists of about 1500 pages of documentation on technical standards used by the State. These documents are outdated pretty regularly, so we needed a CMS that could deal with adding, changing, and deleting individual documents in the system.
Ten technical domain leads have to approve of the document addition, change, or deletion before we can enter the change into the documentation.
There are basically two of us working with this documentation: me, the tech writer, and another fellow who is functioning as CMS administrator. So, here's a high-level view of the process we came up with:

1) When someone wants to add, change, or delete and document, they fill out change request form and send it to the CMS admin.

2) The admn does some admn work and sends it to one technical domain lead for approval of the change.

3) If the domain lead approves of the change, he sends it to me (tech writer) to do.

4) I send it back to the domain lead for approval when I'm finished.

5) If the domain lead approves of my work, he sends the document and his approval to the admin.

6) The admin sends the newly updated document to all 10 domain leads for approval.

7) If there are no issues with the document, we put the change in our documentation and the admin handles the version control manually by tacking a code onto the end of the file name of the old version of the document (if it was a doc change, rather than an addition or deletion).

I don't know who started this thread, but if any of this can help you, feel free to call me.

Beverly Shultz
717-526-0430 Ext. 5133

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l