Re: Slow Tech Writers (offshoot of "Looking for advice -- up to the job?")

Subject: Re: Slow Tech Writers (offshoot of "Looking for advice -- up to the job?")
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:10:54 -0700

Jason wrote:

> Sprinters -- excell at learning new technology areas (and passing that
> knowledge on), incorporating last-minute changes, adding new features and
> functionality. They address the time-to-market issues with the project.
>
> Grinders -- excell at making improvements to existing documentation,
> addressing customer satisfaction issues, and beating down even the smallest
> issues that plague every documentation set (you know, those little questions
> that even the people who wrote the code don't seem to have an answer to).
> They address the quality issues with the project.
>
> A writing team with a good balance of sprinters and grinders is well
> prepared to meet the time-to-market and quality objectives of any project.

Jason, that is an excellent (generalized) description of two modes
of writing. I don't think anyone who's been writing on a team for
any length of time could argue with your observations.

> So, are you a sprinter or a grinder?

Sigh. I sprint. Sometimes I have to consciously slow down and force
myself to go back over my work. Even though working with grinders
can sorely test my patience, I'm glad they're out there. And my
happy coincidence, my team partner is a grinder.

Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com

Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage
unless you are scared. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l