grammar advice: infinitive in US English

Subject: grammar advice: infinitive in US English
From: "Elizabeth OShea" <Elizabeth -dot- OShea -at- emergesmart -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:19:03 +0100

Hi all -

My question is about the following sentence and whether or not it's correct
in US English:

'To enable people subscribe to your company's mailing list...'

Or, should it read 'To enable people to subscribe...'

I have consulted Warriners, Little, Brown, and CUP's Advanced Grammar in
Use. All these sources give examples of when the bare infinitive can be used
(subscribe is the bare infinitive in this example), but I believe this
particular bare infinitive is likely to sound or look wrong to a US-based
ear or eye.

I am happy to accept pedantry about this!

Lastly, does anyone know of a list dedicated to grammar questions?

Thanks once again for providing an excellent resource,

elizabeth oshea

elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- emergesmart -dot- com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l