RE: any printing experts?

Subject: RE: any printing experts?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Thanks John and everyone else,
>
> I'm still hot on the trail of non-printable pdf. So far, I've
> crossed two of
> your possibilities off my list - the fonts were embedded in the
> first place
> and it prints fine on a third printer........However, just talked
> to the sys
> admin and while he said he'll increase the spool size for her
> printer, it
> may not really help because both printers are running off the same
> print server and should have the same capacity.......

External network print spoolers hold jobs in a cue waiting to be sent
to the printer...not to be confused with the printer itself, which
has a certain amount of memory, kinda like RAM, that it uses to
process the job. Different printers can have different amount of RAM.

At a previous gig, we had a bunch of printers of all shapes and
sizes. When three of the local printers that I had mapped were on the
disabled list or out of toner, I went in search of a new printer to
which I could send an important job. In the local mail stop room, I
located a Xerox floor model printer on the newtwork (a DC
something)...the kind you use for many-copy staple, punch, bind,
duplex, reduce type of printing.

Turned out, it had so little internal memory that it couldn't finish
an 8 page Visio because all it ever needed to do was store a single
page, print it, scan the next page, print it. However, by doing it
through the network, the network spooler tried to send the whole job
into it..by the 2nd or 3rd page, would print about half way and then
get spit out and the job would terminate.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
...and everything...is...42
--- Deep Thought