RE: ISO- Is Nonconformance on Formatting? A Possibility?

Subject: RE: ISO- Is Nonconformance on Formatting? A Possibility?
From: sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:17:10

Can anyone tell me-definitivly-whether or not a company can receive a
non-conformance on the formatting of the documentation? I'm sure this
sounds ridiculous but here's the situation. I started and developed the
outline for a style guide for the development of the documentation for the
QA system. Another person finished writing it. We'd agreed on margins,
indentation etc. etc. and then unbeknownst to me the other individual
unilaterally changed the settings at the fourth level.

The result? The numbering at the fourth level,on lengthier procedures,
literally runs directly into the adjoining text without any space
intervening. The Style Guide has been has already been signed off and my
employers (who are aware of the problem) do *not* want to rectify the
problem. They advised me that "they'd rather take a 'non-conformance' for
it and change it later....maybe in two years." My understanding (for ISO)
is if you say you're doing something 'this way' and then the actual
practice is something else this could result in a non-conformance.

I think they *may* be labouring under the impression that making a change
to the Style Guide would necessitate a change to *all* of the documentation
that is presently under development. Couldn't we simply insert a general
statement[into the style guide] saying something to the effect that
"additional spacing may be required for Analytical SOP's at the fourth
level to accommodate detailed the procedures."

So my questions are: 1) Can anyone tell me whether a non-conformance is a
definite possibility in this instance and 2) Is my solution (to rectify the
spacing problem) viable?

Thanks to all in advance and hope you have a good evg. Really hot weather
up here tonite. Yeow!

Sara-Sue

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l