Re: Stereotyping software writers (WAS Re(4): Slow Tech Writers)

Subject: Re: Stereotyping software writers (WAS Re(4): Slow Tech Writers)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:28:12 -0400

Well said Connie.

Letoured, I do not work in software and write manuals for heavy equipment
(trains) where operators and mechanics are exposed to high speed moving parts,
high voltages, and heavy components. Accuracy and adequate warnings and cautions
are paramount. Yet, not in my wildest dreams would I put-down software writers
with the level of disdain that you have shown in your posts. I think you would
be challenged to write adequate documentation for many of the complex software
applications out there.

Classifying people and industries you do not know or necessarily understand as
'2nd tier', insinuating they are not very technical "maybe you should write from
the code', or that they are somehow less professional because they don't work on
projects where they have to get it right is wrong and unprofessional. If you
want to be a member of the list I suggest that you look a little closer at the
points being made instead of commenting 'So what's your point?', and present
idea based arguments instead of disparaging others posts/points as 'nonsense'.

As far as the discussion I was trying to stay out of: It doesn't matter where
you work. All companies are market driven. The company that can deliver adequate
quality, at an acceptable price, in the shortest delay wins the contract/gets
the sales. If someone can be accurate, careful, and faster than you, you'll lose
your job and they'll keep theirs. Some products may be able to be documented
faster as compared to others. But if you compare identical products, with
identical requirements, you can still have comparatively slow and fast writers.
This is a point that others have made and a point that has been ignored in

Eric L. Dunn

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l