Re: Character substitution TTF -> PDF

Subject: Re: Character substitution TTF -> PDF
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:02:44 -0400

Simon Haines wrote:

Howdy,
Has anyone else encountered a problem producing PDFs (feeding postscript to distiller) whereby the characters of some TrueTypes are mangled?
The fonts *look* the same, but the characters are different: "Howdy" becomes "Qot=j" for instance. It only occurs with particular non-'standard' TTFs, which I'm assured ARE licensed.
I've checked the printer driver that produces the output for distiller, and the fonts in question are set to "don't substitute". Do they need to be loaded onto the distiller server?
I've researched to no avail. I throw myself at the mercy of the whirlers. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Simon.

Simon,

Be sure you set Distiller to embed all fonts. We're in a transitional period when certain fonts (with identical file names) come in two flavors--non-Unicode and Unicode--that are encoded differently. If the PDF has only the font name and character code, rather than having the embedded font, then all sorts of havoc can ensue.

Dick

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l