RE: Pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts?

Subject: RE: Pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:08:21 -0400

Request the speaker's permission to correct and extend my remarks.

I said:

>I think it would be more accurate to say that the >Chinese and Japanese languages are as different as >English and Finnish, if I recall correctly from a >linguistics course I took mumble years ago.

The implication is not only that they are very different languages but that they do not even belong to the same language family. I should have included that explication.

>The Japanese, not having a writing system of their >own at the time, adopted the Chinese writing >system. Because ideographs do contain any phonemic >information

should have been "do NOT contain"...

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l