RE: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts

Subject: RE: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:11:12 -0400

::: Road signs and technical manuals are not the same thing.

No, you're right. Road signs are much more succinct at getting important
information to the "user" at the user's time of need. *rofl*
SERIOUSLY!!!

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, the human mind is better at
handling visual imformation than print. Why? I dunno, but I bet it has
something to do with learned behavior vs. instinctive behavior. I'm sure
there have to be studies on the web about this. Actually, I'm sure there
are, as I've read some. I'm just too lazy right now to Google the URLs
for the list. ;) (*GASP* Did I just use a proper noun as a verb?!?
*LOL*)

Visual information - if designed correctly (simple and direct), can be
processed by the human mind extremely quickly. You don't need to be able
to read to know that a pictograph of a skull and bones, wedge between an
arm and a hand, or a red triangle with an exclamation point in it mean
DANGER. You can also communicate an overview of an assembly process
quicker with an image than words, or communicate how a circuit is
constructed, or any workflow, hierarchy, or system.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l