RE: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts

Subject: RE: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:24:44 -0400

Wow, I'm surprised it took someone this long to take my post completely
out of context. Now all we need is someone to bring up Hitler and the
Fascist Regime and so we can officially say the point is dead. *LOL*

::: So, showing pictures of a saw, hammer, nails, a wooden
::: fence and another on
::: making a fence -- at the local hardware store, will get you
::: what is need to go
::: home and build one -- right?

Um, no. But thanks for twisting my words around to make your point sound
better. *lol* (Can you tell I've had it with list politics as of late?)

Like the written word, the composition needs to have a purpose suitable
to the medium. I highly doubt you'd be able to completely talk someone
completely unfamiliar with carpentry through the fence-building process
without illustrations either. I think in either extreme scenario you'd
see failure more than success.

::: Only the most simple of information can be conveyed with
::: pictures. -- As
::: someone who has taught blueprint reading, I assure it
::: cannot be done without using many, many words.

Ah, blueprints. How I miss them. No, really. The only part about
studying architecture I loathed was the math. Makes sense I switched to
tech writing. ;)

Right. Words AND pictures. Go figure... I smell a pattern, but why stop
there...

::: Okay. Lets test the idea. Draw me pictures of how to make 6
::: year old go to
::: bed, or to make her share a bag of jelly beans with her
::: brother. No words allowed.

You find me ANYTHING that accomplishes that and I'll pay you handsomely!
*ROFL*

::: Or lets, make it simple; I have experience in power plant
::: management, operations, maintenance, safety, training,
::: engineering, design and
::: writing -- draw me a picture that conveys that better then
::: a synopsis.

Why would you want a picture that sums it up? It's not the appropriate
medium for the information. That's been my point all along. Have you
been paying attention to my words, or should I draw you a picture?
*ROFLMAO*

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l