RE: Programmer Reference Guide

Subject: RE: Programmer Reference Guide
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:23:59 -0400

One thing I'd add that I haven't seen mentioned so far: an overview that says what this beast does, how it does it, and what each of the component parts is responsible for, in descriptive prose (in conjunction with a flowchart, of course). In hardware this is called the Theory of Operation. Maybe there's a standard name for something like that in software, too; but the it's escaping me at the moment.

It's great to have an idea of what all these various pieces do and how they relate to each other before trying to modify, maintain, or redesign the thing.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l