Of myth and reality

Subject: Of myth and reality
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:49:40 -0400

[cross-posted to several other mailing lists]

Am I alone here, or was anyone else really taken aback by the
July/August 2002 Intercom article "Differentiating Online Help from
Printed Documentation"?

I *KNOW* single-sourcing isn't a myth, as I've done it and know many
others who do it with great success. I guess I'm just amazed that such
misinformation would get past the editors of the magazine and become
published word, especially given the STC now has a brand new
single-sourcing SIG.

The article is full of sweeping generalizations and misinformation. It
mentions "myths", yet counters them with very weak evidence and,
ironically, more information stemming from age-old misinformation.

To go into detail in this e-mail would result in a passage longer than
the original article. If you get Intercom and have read the article,
please feel free to comment. I don't think I am alone in thinking that
this article needs to be addressed very quickly before more
misinformation is communicated through the industry.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine