RE: System for tracking active/redundant graphics in a doc set?

Subject: RE: System for tracking active/redundant graphics in a doc set?
From: "Kight, Cindy K." <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Gilbarco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:53:33 -0700

<I'm sure that many of you have wrestled with this
problem. What kinds of processes or tools are you
using to determine if a graphic is active or
redundant?>

We have a naming convention that includes the version number where the
graphic is first used. For example, the screen shot in version 2.0 for the
screen in System > Database > Restore is named:

SY DB RESTORE 2-0

Let's say that this screen shot remains the same through several versions
and is changed in version 3.2. The new screen shot is taken and named:

SY DB RESTORE 3-2

Then, when the writer looks for the appropriate graphic to insert (link!),
they see:

SY DB RESTORE 2-0
SY DB RESTORE 3-2

Because files in Windows are listed alphabetically, similar graphics are
always listed together and the most recent version of the graphic always
appears last on the list. Even if they're writing a document for version
4.0, our writers know to use the graphic with the most recent version
number.

We like the naming convention because it's based on the navigation used to
get to the screen shot. We also have conventions for graphics that don't
quite fit this pattern. There are other complexities, such as what if a
graphic is simply no longer used? If you're interested, we have a way to
address this, too.

Cindy Kight
Technical Communications Manager
RMS Group - Gilbarco, Inc.