SUMMARY: Word95 template conversion problem

Subject: SUMMARY: Word95 template conversion problem
From: derke -at- accountview -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 5:37:44

Some days ago I asked the following question:

> I'm trying to convert a big template from Word95 to Word2000 (or Word97).
> The error message I receive is the following:
> "Word cannot open the document.
> Try one or more of the following:
> * On the File menu, click Open to open the document.
> * Make sure the document has a .DOC extension.
> (C:\TEMP\AV_DOC.DOT)"

In the meantime, I solved the problem with the suggestion of a co-worker.
One small little macro out of the 50 or 100 could not be converted: If I
delete that macro in Word95, the template is converted to Word2000 without
problems. I added the macro text at the end of this message; the macro
converts HTML tagged texts parts (bold, italic, underline) to Word styles.
I suspect the "<>" to be the problem somehow.

Thanks to all who replied to my question; I tried all your suggestions, but
unfortunately none of them worked for me. I've listed them anyway, maybe
they work in other cases:

===============================
rshade -at- fast -dot- net:
Word95: Save as template as RTF (=> not possible)
Word2000: Open RTF file

Elisabeth Zakes (ezakes -at- PlanView -dot- com):
Word95: create new blank document based on the template
Word2000: Open document
(=> styles are there, but macros, toolbar and autotext lost)

Keith Cronin (kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com):
Word95: save existing document (based on the template) as a template
Word2000: Open template
(=> styles are there, but macros, toolbar and autotext lost)

Lil Matthew (lil_matthew -at- hotmail -dot- com):
- Check File Types to open .dot in Word (=> same error)
- Open the template as a doc (=> same error)

Shannon Luce (Shannon -dot- Luce -at- GE-interlogix -dot- com):
When converting from Word97 to Word2000, macro conversion was
not possible; had to use Word97 to work with the document.
===============================

Macro which could not be converted:
===============================
Dim AVTagSTyleTable$(2, 1)
AVTagStyleTable$(0, 0) = "b"
AVTagStyleTable$(0, 1) = "AVcCommand"
AVTagStyleTable$(1, 0) = "i"
AVTagStyleTable$(1, 1) = "AVcField"
AVTagStyleTable$(2, 0) = "u"
AVTagStyleTable$(2, 1) = "AVcKey"

REM apply AVcField/AVcCommand/AVcKey
For AVTagStyle = 0 To 2
StartOfDocument
EditFindClearFormatting
EditReplaceClearFormatting
EditFind .Find = "<" + AVTagSTyleTable$(AVTagStyle, 0) + ">", .Direction =
0, .MatchCase = 0, .WholeWord = 0, .PatternMatch = 0, .SoundsLike = 0,
.Format = 0, .Wrap = 0, .FindAllWordForms = 0
While EditFindFound() = - 1
CharRight 1
EditClear - 3
ExtendSelection
EditFind .Find = "</" + AVTagSTyleTable$(AVTagStyle, 0) + ">", .Direction
= 0, .MatchCase = 0, .WholeWord = 0, .PatternMatch = 0, .SoundsLike = 0,
.Format = 0, .Wrap = 0, .FindAllWordForms = 0
Cancel
REM Mark long selections for examination
If Len(Selection$()) > 50 Then
Style "AVcEmphasis"
Else
Style AVTagSTyleTable$(AVTagStyle, 1)
End If
CharRight 1
EditClear - 4
EditFind .Find = "<" + AVTagSTyleTable$(AVTagStyle, 0) + ">", .Direction
= 0, .MatchCase = 0, .WholeWord = 0, .PatternMatch = 0, .SoundsLike = 0,
.Format = 0, .Wrap = 0, .FindAllWordForms = 0
Wend
Next

MsgBox "Formatting has finished. Doubtful cases have been marked with
AVcEmphasis"

StartOfDocument
EditFindClearFormatting
EditReplaceClearFormatting
EditFindStyle .Style = "AVcEmphasis"
EditFind .Find = "", .Direction = 0, .MatchCase = 0, .WholeWord = 0,
.PatternMatch = 0, .SoundsLike = 0, .Format = 1, .Wrap = 0,
.FindAllWordForms = 0

Thanks again for your help,

Derk Ederveen (derke -at- accountview -dot- com)