Re: Of myth and reality

Subject: Re: Of myth and reality
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:08:48 -0700

Hart, Geoff wrote:

Are you volunteering to write the followup article, then? Advancement of the
state of knowledge in any field is always a process of debate and dialogue,
and as in science, the stronger argument eventually overcomes the weaker.

Are you suggesting that if Bill Swallow isn't volunteering to write an article, he has no right to criticize, then?

As an STC member, he pays to support the magazine.Even if he didn't, as a reader of a magazine,and as an active member of the field, he has the right (established by tradition) to criticize.Issuing him a challenge is simply an evasion of the issues he raises.

I realize, of course, that you are a strong advocate of the STC, but I'm sure that you can support it with a better argument than that. Anyway, the issue is not really about the STC.

"They had taught me about power and the abuse of power. Evil would always come to me disguised in systems and dignified by law."
-Pat Conroy, "The Lords of Discipline"