Re: Voice Recognition Software...

Subject: Re: Voice Recognition Software...
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:59:29 -0400

Doc wrote:

> In order to use Voice Recognition software you'll have to spend some
> time training it to recognize how you speak.
>
> During this setup phase, you will be able to add words to the programs
> dictionary. You might want to get hold of a glossary and read it in to
> bring it up to speed a little faster.
>
> Some of the programs have additional technical dictionaries available.

I have been using voice recognition products since 1994. The latest
version is 6.1, which is extremely responsive and has excellent command
and control. Training individual words is not the answer the system
operates best using context recognition. For example: Mr. Wright was
right when he wanted to write this letter. Note that all the homonyms
came out correct. The system itself uses a trigram analysis in order to
determine proper context recognition, that is it analyzes the context of
three words at a time. Without using macros, I find that it can type
just about as fast as I can talk when I am talking at normal
conversational speeds. If you use macros to speed can get significantly
faster. The initial training time takes approximately 10 minutes. For
even better accuracy, after the initial 10 minute training, you should
run several typical documents through the vocabulary builder in order
for the program to pick up the context in which you use various words.
This response has been dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking version
6.1, on a PIV 1.6G with 1 MB of memory.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-