Re: Caitalization of Web Services

Subject: Re: Caitalization of Web Services
From: Joe <jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:30:39 -0400

Hi,

Yes...and despite corporate desires in the States to capitalize almost every noun (why not simply change languages to German--einfache Lösung, ne?), Software Development magazine (www.sdmagazine.com--a great source for cutting-edge topics in software dev, methodology, & process...and a good source for tech writers to understand elements of software dev...) uses "Web services." So, I think, that plus the other great comments received confirm my use of a lowercase "services."

Thanks,

joe
On Friday, July 19, 2002, at 05:32 , Jan Henning wrote:

So, the problem I'm encountering is how to capitalize it. I'm leaning
strongly to the third option. That is, Web should be capitalized, but
services should not.

Sounds reasonable to me. There is only one Web, so there is a strong
argumetn for considering 'Web' a name. On the other hand, 'services'
certainly isn't a name. And because several companies are offering Web
services, the combined name couldn't really be considered a name either.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

Joe Sokohl
Sokohl & Associates
Helping create digital solutions for real people
Technical writing, information architecture, and usability consulting
www.sokohl.com
www.cafepress.com/hcistuff (for fun)
facetime.blogspot.com
+1-804-873-6964