re Capitalization of Web Services

Subject: re Capitalization of Web Services
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:43:43 +0200

I'm not a big capitalizer. In general, I don't believe
in capitalizing "Web" when it's missing its "World Wide",
any more than in capitalizing "Stadium" when it's missing
its "Yankee". But I would capitalize "Web Services".

The reason is that by simply putting the words "web" and
"services" together, we can't be sure of conveying the
intended meaning ("an approach that enables distributed
applications to be accessed with standard Internet protocols,"
Joe says).

The company that hosts my website is providing services
for me on the web. That's not web services? The lady who
keeps spamming me about her hot webcam is offering me a
service to be performed over the web. That's not web services?

Until the specialized meaning of the term eliminates the
thought of all possible alternative meanings from people's
minds, I'd use capitals as a signal meaning "I'm using this
term in a specialized sense."

Maybe among certain readerships, the specialized sense is
already sufficiently obvious and the capitals aren't necessary.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il