Numbering of Figures

Subject: Numbering of Figures
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:2:3

> Sara-Sue
> Photos, graphs, drawings, flowcharts, schematics, diagrams, charts,
> illustrations and maps are all labled as "Figure", with a caption and
> consecutive numbers.
> MN Mary

This brings to mind a question I've been curious about: preferred numbering
methods for figures (and tables, too, I suppose) within a document (the one
I'm thinking about specifically is a design document).

I can see pro's and con's to several practices, but I'd really like to know
_why_ you choose the method(s) you do.

Three numbering practices I've seen, in order of frequency, include:
1 -- Consecutive numbering, as was indicated by MN Mary's comment, I've
seen in several books.
2 -- Chapter-based numbering, where the figure is numbered consecutively
within the chapter (e.g. Figure 2-36), I've seen mostly in scholastic
textbooks.
3 -- And I've also seen section-based numbering, where the number of a
contained figure matches the numbered subsection within which it appears,
with consecutive letters appended if there happens to be more than one
figure in a section (e.g. Figures 2.1.2a and 2.1.2b), or if the figure is
broken across pages (as with some flowcharts).

Thanks!
Shauna