Re: Things not to put after a full stop.

Subject: Re: Things not to put after a full stop.
From: Harald Klein <webmaster -at- textquest -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:05:25 +0200

Mark Emson wrote:

Hi chums,

I've had an interesting day today discovering just how different education
in English can be (or perhaps how different people remember different parts
of it.).

The discussion was on which words are not allowed after a full stop
(period). The range of allowable and non allowable was amazing. What rules
do you guys apply and what is the rule called?

As far as I remember from my English lessons (English is not my native language), preposition and conjunctions should be avoided in written language. But as you see, I am violating this rule with only few sentences. So for words like as and but I do not agree.

Harald