Osaka-ben

Subject: Osaka-ben
From: Kevin Kirton <kevin -at- k-tecs -dot- co -dot- jp>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:37:07 +0900

Sean Hower wrote:

> For instance, I learned Tokyo dialect Japanese, which is different from
> other dialects, like Oosaka dialect (I think that's what it's called). That
> dialect is different enough that when you watch Japanese TV, a translation
> into Tokyo dialect is provided. (I'm stretching my memory here. I could be
> wrong on this. If anyone else knows, let me know. hehe)

Sorry to say, but I'm pretty sure you are wrong about this. The dialects in
these parts (Kyoto-ben, Osaka-ben, etc.), which make up Kansai-ben ("ben" =
dialect), do not require subtitles to be understood nationwide. Some of the
most famous comedians here (Sanma, Downtown, and many others) routinely
speak in Kansai-ben and are popular all over Japan. Even my 5-year old
daughter's favorite cartoon, which is made in Tokyo, features an elementary
school-age character who speaks in broad Kansai-ben.

The Tokyo and Kansai dialects are probably about as different as British and
American English, if that.

What you're probably thinking of is the trend here to edit in manga-like
subtitles for all kinds of TV programs, from quiz shows to cooking shows and
everything in between. I'm not sure of the reason for that trend, but
they're not intended to be translations.

Kevin Kirton
Kyoto