RE: Of myth and reality

Subject: RE: Of myth and reality
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:15:15 -0400

::: In supporting the Intercom article, I've certainly learned
::: about a lot of
::: documentation that *isn't* suitable for single-sourcing.
::: The single-source
::: advocates have backed away from:
:::
::: * Non-graphic WinHelp accompanying printed documents: "so 1997"
:::
::: * Reference and procedural documentation: "why would you want to?"
:::
::: * Training documents accompanying product: "entirely unrelated"
:::
::: * I can just guess what you'd say about the sales group's
::: idea to build
::: their proposals from pieces of our documents 8^)

Hi Steve. I'm not speaking for the other vocal advocates on this list,
but I haven't backed away from these points. ;) My question for you is:
how much shared information do you envision between these deliverables?
If it's enough to validate single-sourcing, then do so. Nothing is
unrelated in and of itself. Analyze the situation, and if it looks OK to
single-source, then try doing so.

I'm finding it hard to address the issues you raise because they are
very vaguely explained. All I can do is say "if it looks feasible, then
try it". :-/

I encourage you and anyone else questioning when to single-source to
read my article at
http://www.stcsig.org/ss/articles062002/when_to_ss.htm. Please feel free
to e-mail me any feedback regarding the article.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine