Recommended reading

Subject: Recommended reading
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:23:32 +0100

At the end of the overview/intro chapter in all the docs I do for this
company, I have a list of "recommended reading" - commercially-published
books, some official websites, etc. This related directly to the info in the
manual (ie, if we tell them they have to use PL/SQL, we supply the
title/ISBN of a guide to learning PL/SQL - how I get these titles is by
reminding the developers to let me know what references THEY used and which
ones they thought were good, etc).

Anyway, one developer says he never reads this section and can't believe
anyone does. <g> (I have no feedback from our external audience on this
topic. I know they read the manual because the testers tell me about it, but
no specific info on what sections get read.)

I'm trying to think up something short, snappy but not snippy, etc, to
suggest that maybe, just maybe, other people might read sections he
doesn't... and then I thought I should stop to consider the possibility that
maybe, just maybe, he's right.

Thoughts.

Jane Carnall
"They are prisoners of their own dreams and illusions, as we were 30 years
ago. If the issue is between our and their illusions, we will never resolve
the conflict."
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone. Apologies
for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith my
control.
Home: hj -dot- carnall -at- virgin -dot- net

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.