Re: Interleaf 6.4 to PDF

Subject: Re: Interleaf 6.4 to PDF
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:21:56 -0600

Debbie Creuziger <dcreuziger -at- cox -dot- net> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any somewhat recent experience with creating
color PDF files from Interleaf?
<snip>
> And in the resulting chapter PDFs, the color headings are black instead of
teal. I know this probably has something to do with how Interleaf creates
its pseudo Postscript file, and I'm sure that my printer selection has some
involvement as well.
<snip>

Deb, I haven't used Interleaf in ten years, so I can't help with the
chapter/book problem, but might be able to shed some light on the color
issue (you're on the right track).

When a PDF lacks color, it's usually because the PostScript being distilled
was created using a printer driver (or "instance," in Windows parlance) for
a physical printer that's monochrome (such as an HP LaserJet).
A printer instance created for a physical printer imposes the constraints of
that physical printer on the PostScript it generates. That includes a
non-printable area, page size constraints, lack of color, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by Interleaf's "pseudo Postscript file" or what
the workflow is for creating a PDF in Interleaf. But, if Acrobat is properly
installed, you should have a Distiller printer instance created from the
Distiller PostScript Printer Definition file, adist5.ppd (in
Distillr/Xtras). That's the "printer" which should be creating the
PostScript.

In the FrameMaker world (prior to v.7), this problem occurred because the
"Save As PDF" command created PostScript using your currently-selected (or
default) printer. Perhaps it's something similar in Interleaf. If you can't
explicitly "print" to the Distiller printer instance when creating PDFs, try
making the Distiller your default printer (in Windows) or choosing it as
your printer in Print Setup (in Interleaf).

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs